Thursday, June 28, 2007
"Camp" has come a loooong way!
It has been interesting to read fellow bloggers' accounts of their camp weeks. Wow! Has it ever changed! I must admit that I am not one to raise my hand when a congregation is asked if they like "camp." Maybe a little background will help. . .
My memories are of staying in cabins like these which are also home to bands of critters and entire bug collections for the other 51 weeks out of the year. I came to believe that they did not like to give up their territory easily, for they returned to haunt the good "camp meetin'" folks! Let us not forget to mention the "dorms" that were known to house bats and other such creatures.
Now the mattresses also. . .um. . . left something to be desired. They tended to have a "scent" and "look" to them that made you wonder. . . (I do believe my good mother brought extra sheets or plastic covers for such matters.) You also ended the week feeling like you had slept in a hammock or on a railroad track.
Now there is the subject of windows in your room/cabin. I don't recall them being manufactured by Champion, and consequently you ended up with
swarms of mosquitoes attending camp with you as well. I have wonderful memories of sleeping completely under the covers just trying to survive!

Then we were graced with the bugs that were waiting in the shower. Shiver! And flying at you when you stood in the food line. And dive bombing your head during church. (An absolute nightmare if you have long hair!) And trying to make their way into your luggage so they can reproduce in your hometown.
Then there was when the "rains came down and the tabernacle filled up, the rains came down and the dining hall filled up, and the camp in the sand was going splat!" (Be sure to add the tune! :-)
That was all pre-marriange days, but camp didn't improve with matrimony! The first time I "lost my lunch" during pregnancy was at a camp meeting. I was at another when I ended up "losing my lunch" so many times I ended up in the hospital.
The best was when I had my sleeping firstborn next to me, and a prominent song evangelist almost sat on his head. My immediate reaction was to save my child's skull by giving the man a few swats, and that really got some reactions. Sigh. . .It was an embarrassing moment for me!
Before I am written off as a total wimp, I can survive under less than hospitable circumstances when needed. (Such as sleeping in a Ukrainian barn, using an outhouse for weeks, etc.)
I must say, if I had a cabin or room like some of you enjoyed, I might lose my camp meeting aversion! :-)

  posted at 3:00 PM  
  13 comments



13 Comments:
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Martha, I am definetly spoiled when it comes to staying at camp. My in-laws have a wonderful air-conditioned camper that's equipped with a shower and even a small bath tub. (perfect for the kiddos) The refrigerator and microwave are both nice as well! But I remember as a teenager going to camp in Knoxville, TN, where the accomodations weren't so great. The "girl's dorm" which consisted of 10 beds all in a row was always damp and smelled of mildew. And I remember more than once seeing a frog in the wonderful camp showers. Gross!! Your story made me laugh and I loved all your little pictures.

 
At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Martha, You know all that you said about camp sounded familiar, and so very true. No breakfast ever tasted better than those dining hall bacon and eggs, and those hamburgers at the lunch stand at night after church..Perfect! All the friends, and family in one big happy place. What a great time we will all have in Heaven. One Perfect camp meeting.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Angie D said...

I love having a church damp that's about 4 blocks from the house. I'm not good with showers that 50 other people are also using. Ick! I'm also dying to know who almost sat on your little darling.

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Martha, I am with you all the way. I am not cut out for camp meeting. I like all the comforts of home. Oh and you forgot to add how very hot it gets and of course when you are the song evangelist you have to wear hose all the time. BTW I would also love to know who got "swatted"!

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger The Going Blog said...

It sounds like everybody needs to come to Beulah Grove Bible Methodist camp. The room and shower situations are non issues really when you come like a sponge for spirirtual enrichment. I'm not trying to be all righteous. I come from a small church and it is worth the camp discomforts to come and worship with 300+ people of like faith. Up north we don't have bugs. ha

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just got back from camp Sunday... You know alot of the rooms haven't changed... Some of the matresses are nasty, but I brought a blow-up matress to put on top. My mosquito spray really seemed to help my little ones, as we do have the mosquitos at our camp and generally those bugs love my babies. Best was the night I stayed in a tent. HA! Fortunately I didn't see roaches... The water is stinky... but, I will tell you, I wouldn't miss it, I absolutely love camp (most of the time, if my children behave and if I have AC). It was so very encouraging to hear the messages, and see so many friends. My children had a blast! They have a nice playground, too. I was even willing to stay in a tent all week if necessary in order to be there. I was scared of the animal sounds in the woods, though. Already signed up for a room next year. Don't want to do the no AC thing agian with 3 little ones next year.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Nicole Cassady said...

This blog has proved VERY interesting to me! My whole summer is CAMP! I'm weird.....enjoying every minute! But! Your own trailer makes a tremendous difference! I remember "those" camp days you wrote about.....hmmmm....I wouldn't want to camp like that anymore! (Electric fans that attach to your keyboard are a wonderful blessing!) Happy camping, everyone!

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad those camp days are over! I always got the heeby-geebies looking at those matresses! Most of the camps I've been to in the last few years have great rooms. I used to love going to Bible Methodist Camp in Pell City because our room had a nicer matress than the one we had at home!

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Martha C said...

Anonymous,
Yes, I will love the "camp meeting" in Heaven, but with no sin (heat and bugs :-) in there, we all will be comfortable!

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Martha C said...

Everyone, I have enjoyed these responses! :-) I am POSITIVE I would like camp if I had better living quarters. There is something very beautiful in Christians coming together. (I just want to know why my parents had to wait until now to get AC in their room. Hmph! Guess they were tougher 15 years ago. :-)
When it comes to primitive camp conditions, I am referring to the ones I attended in South Dakota. :-) Has anyone other than Robert Carter or myself attended one of them? The stories we could tell. . .

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Tamra said...

Yes, I have attended a camp meeting in South Dakota. Probably, the same one you have been to. A group of us took a missions trip with Bro. & Sis. William Gale and stayed on the grounds...with lizards, bugs and the whole nine yards. I can't remember the name of the camp though.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Janette said...

I have a perfect camp for you to come to...Kansas State Holiness Association at a college campus where there are all AC buildings, no bugs in the rooms, very cheap rates, and wonderful food, as well as wonderful services and people! One dormitory even has a bathroom for every two rooms! I love it and you might too. The dates are July 26-Aug 3 with Joseph Smith and James Keaton as 2 of the evangelists and Leland & Rowana Lindahl as the song evangelists! Would love to see you there!!! :-)

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Martha C said...

Janette,
That camp certainly sounds more inviting! :-) The thought of driving there is killing me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



queen of the castle

Name:
Martha C


To all my family and friends, this blog was commenced as a way to keep you informed during my frequent communication lapses. Enjoy reading of our life in this far, far away land called "the South."

My Complete Profile


folks of the castle
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from tmcastle98. Make your own badge here.

websearch from a castle

featured favorite
  • Nebraska Lady & Crew

  • latest tales
    Where do I start?
    Better late than never. . .
    Okay, okay, I give!!!!
    Another good day on the books!
    Marriage meme
    The Return of "Me"
    . . .the price of freedom
    A tale of nausea. . .
    Not sure what is going on. . .
    A Tale of Stuffed Animals

    earlier tales
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    March 2007
    April 2007
    May 2007
    June 2007
    July 2007
    August 2007
    September 2007
    October 2007
    November 2007
    December 2007
    January 2008
    February 2008
    March 2008
    April 2008
    May 2008
    June 2008
    July 2008
    August 2008
    September 2008
    October 2008
    November 2008
    December 2008
    January 2009
    February 2009
    March 2009
    April 2009
    May 2009
    June 2009
    July 2009
    September 2009
    October 2009
    November 2009
    December 2009
    January 2010
    February 2010
    March 2010
    May 2010
    June 2010
    July 2010
    August 2010
    September 2010
    November 2010
    January 2011

    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Profile Photo by:
    Herring Photography

    Castle Photo by:
    *eclaire

    Meter by:




    ________________
    Add this to your site