Wednesday, April 09, 2008
Priceless connection!
I have recently felt this with my Grandma, and it has been on my mind. Maybe it is because she died five years ago this month. I think of it every year as IHC rolls around. . . I will never forget where I was when the news arrived - right outside the "nursery" of the convention center. I knew it was coming, but it still hit me like a ton of bricks! I loved that woman - my Grandma - "Granny" was what we affectionately called her. I was heartbroken at losing our physical connection, but I was comforted to know she had left her pain riddled body the way she desired - in her own home and surrounded by her children. I have many beautiful memories that connect me to her, but lately I have been in touch with priceless ones!
They have been swirling out of a devotional, and I am seeing Granny in a new light. Not sure how I ever landed the opportunity of owning this, but I am glad it is in my possession. I love this book, and I want my children to feel the spiritual connection to Granny that I do!
She clearly defined what passages spoke to her, and as I diligently scan the pages, I see more of her heart. I love the highlighting, pen marks, underlined words. Her handwriting alone warms me! I was craving to know a possible date of when she read this book!

Yes! I found it! Feb.10, 1978.

Here I am - three decades later and years after she left this world, drawing from Granny's depth! Mary Jane Rollins left a beautiful legacy and loving memories, but now I have this new connection, and I love it!
It has left me wondering if I am leaving a legacy that will connect with my family years later. Oh, I know my boys will be telling their children some crazy stories about their mother, but will they really know my heart?! I think I will do as Granny did and write my spiritual thoughts and longings on the pages of a book. It will be a tangible connection between myself and generations after me.
Along with my grandmother's, I think I'll ask my Mom for one of her devotionals. She probably scribbles in them just as her mother did, and I'd like to read her thoughts, too.
Another priceless connection!

  posted at 10:39 AM  
  10 comments



10 Comments:
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How Beautiful! What a good idea. I'm 38 and still have all my grandparents living. I think I'll ask for something like that while I still have them.

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Martha
what an awesome gift you have from your Granny. I have my Gran's Bible and I cherish it. It was given to me after she passed away, and one of the things I found in it was Randy and I's engagement picture (we had been married 8 yrs when I got the Bible)and it had a poem entitled Young Man Take Care Of My Little Girl folded around it. I always write in my Bible and devotionals. It is so neat to go back and see all the times God has helped us. I enjoy your blog.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger tacomom said...

I have both of my parent's Bibles. Never dreamed that I, the youngest, would be lucky enough to have them as I figured surely one of the five older siblings would desire them. But my oldest sister saw the longing in my eyes when we were searching for a Scripture to have the Bible open on my father's casket spray and that is how I became the proud "inheritant" (is that a word? lol!) I have found such comfort on difficult days by reading their notes in the margins and seeing what verses they highlighted.

As for you "seeing" me in church on Sunday, so what did you see me do - sneak candy or scratch my nose? loL! I tend to forget all about the cameras until I do something terribly embarrassing and then it dawns on me that I hope they weren't zooming in on our pew!

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Sarah Cook said...

I used to be a little annoyed at times with Ron's writing in all his books, but now I am glad he does... you know, it would mean so much to me if... well, I don't think it will happen, but I still like to read his thoughts anyway! That is so precious that you have that connection.

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger Constance said...

That is something to cherish very much. Both sets of my grandparents are not christians. I very much envy you. Hope to see you at IHC.

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so very disappointed when my Dad insisted that Mom's Bible be buried with her, for the exact reason you're enjoying your grandmother's -- all the underlining and comments. Mom always recorded her thoughts, dates, etc. I wish I could have had them. You're fortunate.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Angie D said...

Hope you're writing your thoughts down too. I've decided that I should start on it now while I have most of the use of my mind...

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Karen Hess said...

Hey, Martha! It was good to find your blog. We met in South Dakota one summer and saw you in Mitchell another summer (we always teased you about your big purse). We've enjoyed seeing the pictures of your boys. Take care!
Karen Hess

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Martha C said...

Yes, I remember you, Karen! How great to hear from you. Refresh my mind concerning the purse... I only recall my BIG hair poof. :-)

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger sarahmfry said...

I have one of my Grandma Wolf's journals. What a treasure. She is still living, but our families are weird like that - passing things out early that they know we'll love so things are easy later.

This is such a treasure. You've got me thinking about the best way to leave my heart on paper for my kids. I feel like I have things sprinkled here and there - in journals, my Bible study books, etc. And I've even started some of those "Mother's Journal" books. Maybe I need to get those out and start updating (if I could ever find them after the latest move).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



queen of the castle

Name:
Martha C


To all my family and friends, this blog was commenced as a way to keep you informed during my frequent communication lapses. Enjoy reading of our life in this far, far away land called "the South."

My Complete Profile


folks of the castle
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from tmcastle98. Make your own badge here.

websearch from a castle

featured favorite
  • Nebraska Lady & Crew

  • latest tales
    When the cat's away,
    The little lad is
    Celebrating ~
    Metamorphosis of a. . .
    Has it really been a week?!
    Catching Your Eye ~ Part 3
    Concerned. . .
    300th post,
    When the cat's away,
    Two new discoveries:

    earlier tales
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    March 2007
    April 2007
    May 2007
    June 2007
    July 2007
    August 2007
    September 2007
    October 2007
    November 2007
    December 2007
    January 2008
    February 2008
    March 2008
    April 2008
    May 2008
    June 2008
    July 2008
    August 2008
    September 2008
    October 2008
    November 2008
    December 2008
    January 2009
    February 2009
    March 2009
    April 2009
    May 2009
    June 2009
    July 2009
    September 2009
    October 2009
    November 2009
    December 2009
    January 2010
    February 2010
    March 2010
    May 2010
    June 2010
    July 2010
    August 2010
    September 2010
    November 2010
    January 2011

    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Profile Photo by:
    Herring Photography

    Castle Photo by:
    *eclaire

    Meter by:




    ________________
    Add this to your site