Sunday, October 15, 2006
Am I the only one?
Am I the only one who dreads standing in line just to give your precious money to the county in order to obtain the privilege of driving on their roads?
Am I the only one who knows that when you take two small boys you are ensuring that there will be mishaps?
Am I the only one who wonders why you cannot do all the business in one place? You know ~ some type of BMV/DMV Supercenter? No, the government would rather you run between different locations so that you are frustrated and disliking them by the time you are done!
Well, I had to do the "business" this time. Troy has been the "lucky" one in the past, but he is so busy, I felt guilty asking him to complete the dreaded task.
I chose Friday, the 13th, as my day to ruin! I knew Ethan would make it memorable; he never lets me down on that one! The interesting thing about him is that he is wonderful in the van. He will sit in his carseat for hours and be a great kid. Something triggers in his brain as soon as the straps are off. I contemplated taking his seat in with me, but then I would probably have more policemen at my door! :-) During our first stop, we read every book and looked at all the pictures on the camera. I thought about reading the publishing and copyright dates, but decided the boys would not be interested. Ethan is too busy waving, smiling, chatting, talking, climbing. . .Meanwhile, Seth has finished all the seatwork I brought. (Great! We are still at our first stop!) After leaving there, Ethan starts doing gross things like licking a counter! I was appalled and mortified. I am so germ conscious that there is no water fountain drinking allowed, we always clean hands before a meal and absolutely no drink sharing. You can imagine my horror to see him swipe the counter with his tongue! Then he bumps a table which in turn crashes into a wall. (Don't you love it when everyone stares at you?!) Oh, no! I just spotted a midget two people up from us. I begin to pray, "Lord, please do not let Ethan see her." Yeah, right. Seth politely tapped me and whispered, "Mommy, I think I am taller than her." Did Ethan whisper? Of course not. He blurted out, "Mommy, wook at the coot wittle wady!" So Ethanesque! Now it is my turn to be told what large amount of money I need to surrender. We then leave that line to go join another line so we can "pay up." That lady is not thrilled because I cannot give her a home phone number. "I do not have one. We use cell phones." (That solicited a half rolling of eyes, smirking twist of the lips, dignified county worker look.) She finally wrote it down. What other choice did she have? I was not about to go have a phone line installed just to make her happy! We pile into the van again to go to the next stop. I have the replacement title from OH, so we can take care of the expired tags. I am getting ready to turn left when a car pulls out, and I had to swerve into the other lane so it would not hit me! I arrive at the next place a bit flustered after the narrow escape. The problem here is they are moving too fast. First, I am told Troy has to sign the paper for the new tags. Lovely!!! I went through all of that so I could not complete the "task." (Inwardly I am muttering, "Lady, if you think I am driving all the way to BJU and back just for a signature, you are funny. The tags will remain expired for another weekend!") Well, I will settle for getting my new license. Now, I am frantically trying to fill out the form before my number is called. . .Let's see - Name. . .Ethan, please get off the floor. Birthdate. . .Ethan, please quit knocking on the wall. . . Are you a felon. . .No, more like feline right now. . .Mother's name. . .Ethan, you only need to sit in one chair. . .Mother's maiden name. . .Ethan, please quit swinging your toy dinosaur. . .Mother's height when she was thirteen. . .Okay, maybe that was an exaggeration, but the questions are about as bad. The plastic dinosaur ends up whacking me in the face at one point. Good - nice red mark for the picture! Oh, no!!! The midget is here getting her license, too! At least Ethan did not say anything this time. Whew!!!
We are FINALLY done, they hand me my new license and guess what??? My name is spelled incorrectly! I had to laugh at that one!! Is is just me? :-)

  posted at 12:54 PM  
  7 comments



7 Comments:
At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, as a matter of fact, you're not the only one!

Last time I went to the BMV (just a few months ago) I was pleased to get there by 1 p.m., knowing that it would be enough time to do my business and pick up Brennan from school at 3:15. Boy, was I wrong! I got back from picking Brennan up and still waited in line until 4:30!

That was AFTER I was given a lower number by a lady that couldn't wait anymore and was leaving!

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Angie D said...

I love it that other people have days like that! It reminds me of the time Connor looked under the doors in a public restroom and loudly announced which ladies had very big rear ends!

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Martha C said...

Wow, Carrie; I guess I will not complain. At least the lines weren't that long!
Angie, it is probably a good thing that Connor and Ethan are states away from each other! :-)

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Angie D said...

Those two little boys could do a LOT of damage together! We must never let them meet...

 
At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that Jared isn't the only one that licks public counters! I just keep thinking that something must be wrong with a child that licks chairs, counters, floors or whatever else he possibly can. Scott left this a.m. to get his new tags (for 2 cars since we have that ugly el camino) and his new drivers license. I handed him a check and wanted to cry. Thankfully, I don't have to go until April. Then I will be saying, Jared get off the floor, Jared stop licking that chair etc.....

 
At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Question: DMV I know, but BMV?

Believe me, Clay does more than his share of humiliating me. Must get the knack for that from his grandfather. *sigh*

 
At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, "Bureau" of Motor Vehicles here in the Hoosier State!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



queen of the castle

Name:
Martha C


To all my family and friends, this blog was commenced as a way to keep you informed during my frequent communication lapses. Enjoy reading of our life in this far, far away land called "the South."

My Complete Profile


folks of the castle
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from tmcastle98. Make your own badge here.

websearch from a castle

featured favorite
  • Nebraska Lady & Crew

  • latest tales
    "Crashing Fat Bellies"
    Unnerving experience!!!!!
    Fun in school. . .
    Freshly painted kitchen!
    One of those days!
    My annoying computer!
    Homeschool room/ office
    Tonto & Lone Ranger
    Make me cry!
    Kindergarten is done!

    earlier tales
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    March 2007
    April 2007
    May 2007
    June 2007
    July 2007
    August 2007
    September 2007
    October 2007
    November 2007
    December 2007
    January 2008
    February 2008
    March 2008
    April 2008
    May 2008
    June 2008
    July 2008
    August 2008
    September 2008
    October 2008
    November 2008
    December 2008
    January 2009
    February 2009
    March 2009
    April 2009
    May 2009
    June 2009
    July 2009
    September 2009
    October 2009
    November 2009
    December 2009
    January 2010
    February 2010
    March 2010
    May 2010
    June 2010
    July 2010
    August 2010
    September 2010
    November 2010
    January 2011

    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Profile Photo by:
    Herring Photography

    Castle Photo by:
    *eclaire

    Meter by:




    ________________
    Add this to your site