Wednesday, November 28, 2007
The tales continue. . .
I do believe I left all of you at the delivery room, but I forgot to mention something. . . Am I the only one that wonders why you have to sign 2,400 papers (slight exaggeration) and answer 2,399 questions before a birth or surgery?! I am getting all sorts of things strapped on me, needles shoved in my hands, clothes being changed, blood taken, and some lady is saying, "Can you please sign right by the X?" Meanwhile another nurse is at a computer asking everything from my blood type to my mother's high school grades! I was getting rather tired of answering the same questions over and over. . .
What a wonderful relief to have Troy join me, and then to see my doctor peek in the room! We quickly discussed the fact the baby's lungs were not developed, but as she stated, "Your body is a ticking time bomb, and we need to take care of it."
The peace was still there concerning the baby; I had my ketchup bottle! :-)
When I finally landed in the OR, received a spinal, and was flat on my back, I was asked the question, "Would you mind if a BJU student is in here to observe the birth?" I almost gasped, "A BJU student?!" Inwardly I thought, "Okaaaaay. My doctor has no clue Troy also is BJU student!" I lamely ask, "Do you think I will ever see this person on the campus?" I received some reply to which I quickly answered, "Well, I guess it is fine. This person must be in medicine, and my husband is in music, so chances are our paths will not cross." I can assure you that if I am ever waltzing across campus and some guy comes up and says, "Mrs. Castle, I am the one that attended the birth of your baby. How are the two of you doing?" I do believe I will faint!!!!!
Silas' guard dog
Back to the OR, the moment finally happens when Silas meets the world, and the doctors were so concerned about my uterus, neither surgeon was checking to see what the baby was! Troy finally got a glimpse and told me. Another boy - just what I wanted!!!! I never stated that for obvious reasons, but deep down, I really wanted another son! When they brought him around the sheet so I could see him, he looked dead. It was very scary since he had not yet taken a breath. In fact, it was 45 seconds before he did! Talk about a loooong time to wonder, and when I first heard that little cry, I joined right in there with him. It was one of the most precious sounds I have ever heard!
It was so special when he was wrapped in a blanket, and Troy was able to bring him to me! With all the trauma involved, I was cherishing each moment that I had always considered routine with my other two children. I wanted to cry my eyes out, but that is rather hard when you are being cut on!
As for Silas' name, I had my usual time trying to convince Troy they were "nice." :-) I wanted an uncommon Bible name with a good meaning. (Those are rather hard to come by, you know.) Some names are really neat but have terrible meanings! The middle is after Ronald Reagan - a man I dearly loved. After his death, I had always hoped to name a boy in honor of him. One of the NICU nurses was so thrilled to find out he was a namesake, for she had worked at the Reagan Presidential Library in CA and personally knew the family.
And the NICU is for another day. . . :-) Enjoy the picture.


  posted at 4:49 PM  
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Martha, I'm so happy y'all are doing well. Your entire family has been in my prayers for quite some time now.

Silas' picture is absolutely adorable. And I do think the name is quite cool, as well.

Always nice finding an update when I bring up your page. Keep in touch.

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Jana said...

I've been enjoying your stories and pics. Very precious!!!

I'm with you on the million and one questions, why??? When I was flat on my back answering the many questions before Kaden was born, the nurse asked me if I had dentures. I somehow misunderstood her and thought she said "Insurance". I gave a quick, "YES"!! She said, "uuhh, top or bottom??". I said, "Insurance"??? (I didn't know that came in "top or bottom".) Here I was in my twenties WITH braces still on my teeth. It did give us a chuckle. :-)

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Angie D said...

He's such a sweetie! I remember being so annoyed when Kent was born because I pre-registered to avoid filling out all the forms that day and the doctor's office never sent them over! Well, I'm off to find you a nice leather business-card holder...

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger tacomom said...

Hate, hate, hate those questions! We had to go through them all three times that Janae was admitted within 5 wks of her birth, too. When I was having Kerrigan they didn't get to the questions until I was in pretty good labor. I had requested NuBain. One nurse was asking questions, the other was administering the meds. Nurse NuBain said, "Now you should start to feel a bit relaxed, maybe even drowsy in about two minutes." Two seconds later Nurse Inquisition asked the next question and I couldn't even formulate an answer. I remember her smiling at me then looking to Tony and saying, "Dad, I think you might have to help with the rest." (got out of that one :)

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Martha C said...

Jana,
Love the dentures story! :-)

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Martha C said...

Hey, Ang, did you check to see if Vera Bradley makes them? :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



queen of the castle

Name:
Martha C


To all my family and friends, this blog was commenced as a way to keep you informed during my frequent communication lapses. Enjoy reading of our life in this far, far away land called "the South."

My Complete Profile


folks of the castle
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from tmcastle98. Make your own badge here.

websearch from a castle

featured favorite
  • Nebraska Lady & Crew

  • latest tales
    The tales begin. . .
    the Ketchup Bottle
    2 weeks old today!
    Did I mention I am tired?!
    A week's difference
    A storybook ending to the tale as told by the King...
    Homeward bound...or so it seems
    Me again
    Day 3
    Boy meets girl...

    earlier tales
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    March 2007
    April 2007
    May 2007
    June 2007
    July 2007
    August 2007
    September 2007
    October 2007
    November 2007
    December 2007
    January 2008
    February 2008
    March 2008
    April 2008
    May 2008
    June 2008
    July 2008
    August 2008
    September 2008
    October 2008
    November 2008
    December 2008
    January 2009
    February 2009
    March 2009
    April 2009
    May 2009
    June 2009
    July 2009
    September 2009
    October 2009
    November 2009
    December 2009
    January 2010
    February 2010
    March 2010
    May 2010
    June 2010
    July 2010
    August 2010
    September 2010
    November 2010
    January 2011

    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Profile Photo by:
    Herring Photography

    Castle Photo by:
    *eclaire

    Meter by:




    ________________
    Add this to your site