Thursday, April 12, 2007
Worries, worries, worries
I'm worried about _____. I am afraid that _____. What would happen if _____? How do you fill in the blanks? It is a bit comical when we start mentioning things that really worry us. Some are very serious, and other are not. Some are real; some will probably never happen. One friend told me that she worries about people breaking into their home at night and hurting her children. Funny. That never crossed my mind as something to bring worry. Maybe I should - as teens, Troy and I both experienced people sneaking into our homes. Other friends worry about bodily harm being done to family members. Not me, but I do worry about one of us picking up a stomach bug! Some face anxiety about what others think of them, their homes, their talents, etc. Some fear the physical, some are terrified of nature, and more are frightened by the spiritual. How is this helping us??!! The crippling fact is that it's not! I have been pondering these thoughts as I browsed through:
For today, I want to share a few thoughts from the pages and hope you will find encouragement in these lines. . .
"An anxious heart weighs a man down," Proverbs 12:25 tells us. And yet the heavy burden of anxiety offers no real benefits. Jesus. . .reminded us, "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" (Matthew 6:27)
It's been said that worry is like a rocking chair - it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. One interesting set of statistics indicates there is nothing we can do about
70 percent of our worries:
What we worry about
40% are things that will never happen.
30% are about the past - which can't be changed.
12% are about criticism by others, mostly untrue.
10% are about health, which gets worse with stress.
8% are about real problems that can be solved.

When it comes down to it, worry is really a waste of time. But it's almost more than that. Worry is not only futile. It's actually bad for us. . . .researchers have established connections between chronic worry and weakened immune systems, cardiovascular disease, neurological imbalances, clinical depression, and other physical and psychological dysfunctions - not to mention specific anxiety-related illnesses such as panic attacks, agoraphobia, and obsessive-compulsive disorders.

All that from worry. No wonder Jesus warned Martha about her anxiety. No wonder the Bible tells us more than 350 times to "fear not."

The truth is, we were simply not wired for worry."


  posted at 4:07 PM  
  8 comments



8 Comments:
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Jana said...

Very good- I think we could all use this at times. My dad has repeated a quote from a black lady many times, "If you're stewin' and frettin',you're not prayin' and trustin'!!"

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Martha C said...

I love that quote, Jana!

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Les said...

Wow! Your post was a needed reminder for me. I've been rather calm over the past 6 years of Aaron's life over many issues. This week has been a stressful one. I have peace that I canceled his tests, and know it was the right thing to do. I've been dreading them, and know he will still have to be tortured by them in the near future. I also know that he is a child of God and has a purpose, in the condition he is in. As we've discussed before, there is ALWAYS something much worse than what we face.
As far as any other fears, I have an adversion to driving on the highway with a semi on one side and a concrete wall on the other!

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Martha, I'm worried about you.......

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Angie D said...

Sometimes I have to remind myself out loud to stop worrying about the "ifs", the "whens" and the yesterdays. I'll have to get that book.

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Aimee said...

Hmm...good post. I just attended a ladies' retreat with the name of that book as the theme. I actually bought the book, brought it home, set it aside, and I STILL haven't read it! I think that's gonna have to change. =)

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

That's a great book!

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Martha C said...

Aimee,
Page 34 is a real winner! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



queen of the castle

Name:
Martha C


To all my family and friends, this blog was commenced as a way to keep you informed during my frequent communication lapses. Enjoy reading of our life in this far, far away land called "the South."

My Complete Profile


folks of the castle
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from tmcastle98. Make your own badge here.

websearch from a castle

featured favorite
  • Nebraska Lady & Crew

  • latest tales
    Countdown time!
    Phooey on. . .
    Question of the day -
    Like him. Like him. Like him.
    "It's nothing to sneeze at."
    Introducing. . .
    Blogically Challenged
    The Tale That Took A Twist
    Activities at the castle. . .
    Catching Your Eye ~ Part 2

    earlier tales
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    March 2007
    April 2007
    May 2007
    June 2007
    July 2007
    August 2007
    September 2007
    October 2007
    November 2007
    December 2007
    January 2008
    February 2008
    March 2008
    April 2008
    May 2008
    June 2008
    July 2008
    August 2008
    September 2008
    October 2008
    November 2008
    December 2008
    January 2009
    February 2009
    March 2009
    April 2009
    May 2009
    June 2009
    July 2009
    September 2009
    October 2009
    November 2009
    December 2009
    January 2010
    February 2010
    March 2010
    May 2010
    June 2010
    July 2010
    August 2010
    September 2010
    November 2010
    January 2011

    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Profile Photo by:
    Herring Photography

    Castle Photo by:
    *eclaire

    Meter by:




    ________________
    Add this to your site