Thursday, January 18, 2007
"What Animal Is That?"
What Animal Is That? puzzle
"A fun test of puzzle skill and knowledge!" (So says the box)
An interesting way to spend hours of time resulting in the questioning of your personal animal knowledge. (So says the Martha Castle)
This puzzle looks quite simple - now that it is together. I thought it would be a great way to add some spice to our homeschool schedule. Added to the fact I love jigsaw puzzles, I also thought it would be a great way to learn "100 fascinating animal facts." I am usually quick with puzzles, but since we had no picture as a guide, it was slow. Now, most of us think we have a grip on the animal kingdom, correct? Well, when you are staring at 100 "out of this world" facts, you will begin to question yourself. Out of 100, I think I safely knew 10-15 and made educated guesses on a few others. Let me give you a sample:
Fact - Can sometimes be seen in a group called a "Parliament." Um. . .not sure, but I do have 100 choices in front of me!
Fact - Has eyes at the end of its arms. Hmmm. . .I think we can safely eliminate the whales, sharks, snakes. . .
Fact - Was sacred to the ancient Egyptians. Let's see, it's definitely not the polar bear!
In search of some answers, I found a picture of this puzzle on the internet, and we excitedly finished the project. Whew! Once completed, it was thrilling to read all the answers. So, as a service to all of you, here is some enlightenment:
1. The earthworm of Africa can grow up to 22 feet. (Creepy! I guess you use those when you are fishing for sharks.)
2. An octopus has three hearts.
3. The mosquito has been responsible for more human deaths than any other animal after man.
4. The archer fish shoots prey with a squirt of water.
5. The peregrine falcon is one of the world's fastest animals and can swoop at up to 217 MPH.
Could you imagine seeing one of these:
1. A 10 ft komodo dragon?
2. A giant salamander which can grow up to 5 ft 11 in long?
3. The world's longest snake, reticulated python, with one specimen growing up to 32 ft?
One last fact for all of my SD friends - The prairie dog builds the largest colonies of any animal, with one estimated to have covered 24,000 sq miles. (24,000 is not a typo! :-)
Above answers:
~the owl
~ the starfish
~ the scarab beetle

  posted at 6:21 PM  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting facts. I love some of the names they come up with for a group of animals!

Geography tip: go to http://www.google.earth.com and download the free program. It's an aerial view of the world that's pretty incredible (let's just say I can see Robert's parent's van parked in their driveway!)

 
At 1:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

is there a "grinch" on your puzzle? if not its completly unscientific and worthless!!!

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate puzzles! I have a difficult time with preschool puzzles. We still laugh about being in SD and a prairie dog chased Joshua for his peanuts. It was so funny! I'm just glad that the salamander that I showered with at Granny's wasn't nearly as long as it could get. That one scarred me for life, I would be in an institution had it been any bigger!

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Martha C said...

Grinch, yes you were on the puzzle. It said something about being the most annoying creature known to man. ;-)
Carrie, I think Troy showed that to me, and I thought it was a little unnerving!
Les, I did not know that story about the praire dog! When you were in SD, I think I was more concerned about a honeymoon. :-)

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Martha C said...

Les, I forgot to mention that after your salamander incident, I avoided that basement shower like the plague!!!!! The one time I had to use it, I showered while wearing glasses which is a bit of a problem, but since I am almost blind without them, it was a must. I was terrified a salamander would be in there, I would feel it and not be able to see it! (Shiver!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



queen of the castle

Name:
Martha C


To all my family and friends, this blog was commenced as a way to keep you informed during my frequent communication lapses. Enjoy reading of our life in this far, far away land called "the South."

My Complete Profile


folks of the castle
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from tmcastle98. Make your own badge here.

websearch from a castle

featured favorite
  • Nebraska Lady & Crew

  • latest tales
    Decor update
    All because of Angie Davis
    My growing boy
    Temporary leave.
    Another cake attempt
    Birthday time!
    Weekend wrap-up
    The Energizer Christmas
    New "Willow Tree" figurine
    Just had to show you!

    earlier tales
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    March 2007
    April 2007
    May 2007
    June 2007
    July 2007
    August 2007
    September 2007
    October 2007
    November 2007
    December 2007
    January 2008
    February 2008
    March 2008
    April 2008
    May 2008
    June 2008
    July 2008
    August 2008
    September 2008
    October 2008
    November 2008
    December 2008
    January 2009
    February 2009
    March 2009
    April 2009
    May 2009
    June 2009
    July 2009
    September 2009
    October 2009
    November 2009
    December 2009
    January 2010
    February 2010
    March 2010
    May 2010
    June 2010
    July 2010
    August 2010
    September 2010
    November 2010
    January 2011

    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Profile Photo by:
    Herring Photography

    Castle Photo by:
    *eclaire

    Meter by:




    ________________
    Add this to your site